W3C Content Label Incubator Group
From the charter of the recently createdW3C Content Label Incubator Group:
In its earliest days, W3C recognized a need to be able to describe content according to a defined vocabulary. This could be done for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to, child protection. The result was the PICS system which, despite early promise, has achieved limited support.
The underlying need for such a system is, however, undiminished.
The first objective must be to review the use cases and establish a set of requirements. Some relevant questions for this stage might be:
- Are the use cases clear enough?
- Should further use cases be added?
- Can a scalable method of creating metadata for the Web be trustworthy?
- What role can digital signatures play?
- What other techniques can be drawn upon?